PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL (H) Continue or not
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 22:37
bladewashout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think many ppl(h)s have been questioned whenever a high profile accident happens, and question themselves.

We don't know what happened to his squirrel helicopter, however my own wife has recently had her friends asking her why she 'lets' me fly, and more importantly why she allows me to take our teenage daughters up with me.

The answer ultimately comes down to your own view of how you live your life and what you expose your family to. Everything you do carries a risk, from crossing the road to traveling on a motorway or getting in a passenger jet. You have to judge whether your family situation and the the risks you have taken to achieve a financial stability which permits you to fly helicopters now precludes you from risky activities so you can protect the position of your family and your own life. The logical conclusion of the 'safe' path is that you take less and less risks the more financial stability you have. That's not a life.

Personally, I think the risk is pretty low for someone who cautiously flies R22s or any well built helicopter in good weather, in daylight, maintaining over 500ft AGL at all times, and who intends to remain within their own and their aircraft's capabilities. But the risk is there, and can't be ignored: it's akin to becoming a born-again motorcyclist in your 40's. The more hours you achieve, the lower the risk. If you want to make life safer, R44s have more rotor inertia, and a Raven II eliminates carb-icing. It's just more cash.

My view, which I have talked about with my wife, is that I don't want to live a totally risk-free life, and I don't want to teach my children that risk is something to be avoided at all costs. I love flying, I understand the risks and try to fly well within my capabilities. I undertake regular training updates to make sure I have not picked up bad habits, and ensure I practice autos with an instructor monthly. If the small risks I take ultimately cost me my life, clearly there will be people who think I was a fool. There will be others who think I lived a full life doing the things I wanted to do and teaching my kids that 'life is there to be lived'.

Until I had about 200 hours, I was scared every time I turned the key in the helicopter. That faded with more hours.

My advice is to talk to other pilots about your concerns, but ultimately, if you want to fly, you have to face the fact that what has happened is that the small risk he ran has actually occurred (ignoring why), the consequences were severe, and it could happen to you. Your next business deal could also bankrupt you, or an injudicious act or statement could see you sued and broken. You could walk in front of a bus. You could drop dead from a sudden hemorrhage (sp?) next month (as nearly happened to a friend of mine). Next year you may contract cancer.

Accept (mitigated) risks and achieve things you want in life, or wrap yourself in cotton wool, achieve less but potentially increase your chance of longevity. It's your decision: I know what mine is!

BW