PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL (H) Continue or not
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 22:21
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continue. There are more helicopter pilots alive than there are who have died flying. Have a read of the accident reports and learn from the mistakes; they are meant as lessons to us all.

Safety is paramount and if you strive to be a safe pilot, then no-one should refuse a ride with you.

My husband once said he'd never fly with me, as he'd flown with many high-houred professionals but, once he'd listened to the testimonial of a friend who did fly with me, he changed his tune!

I read recently of the death of an acquaintance, John Garnons Williams, a skilled and experienced pilot who died in a tragic helicopter accident. Yes, it put me off, it bothered me that such an experienced chap could lose his life in such a manner but it has made think more of the safety aspects of flying.

People die in cars, they die on motorbikes, they die on farms and in factories. Don't take chances, don't think "it won't happen to me"; don't succumb to "press-on-it-is!

I doubt whether there is a pilot here who hasn't had doubts and, if there is, then I ain't sure I want to fly with him. We all have them. It's what keeps us alive - and equally applicable on the roads!

If you're good enough to pass the skills test, then I'll put my money where my mouth is, and I'll be your pax! And I don't have a Robbie rating!!!!

Cheers

Whirls