PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL (H) Continue or not
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 21:50
smtp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPL (H) Continue or not

I have been training to fly over the last two years (on and off due to work commitments) with an R22. I really enjoy the flying and in fact have now purchased my own 22 . My passion to fly helicopters is purely for pleasure. I have just finished my cross country a few weeks ago and am now getting ready to do my skill test.

The problem that I have is that I am questioning myself as to continue flying or not. This has only become an issue within the last seven days due to the unfortunate events in Lanark last weekend. I have clearly considered the potential hazards in aviation from the outset of my training, and up until now it hasn't bothered or had any effect on me. The tragic outcome of last weekend has had a pretty major impact on myself and my family and we cannot begin to understand what the families of the deceased are going through just now.

I find myself at a crossroads in my flying, and I am being questioned from my wife, parents and my sons as to why I would wish to risk myself for the sake of what is seen by my family as a hobby. I wonder if any other pilots have encountered a similar situation. Am I being totally selfish here if I contune with flying when all of my family don't approve. In addition my family have confirmed that they will not fly when I get the licence.