PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B + Subsidy - It's on the table - Submn's close 31 Oct
Old 19th Sep 2007, 16:17
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been doing a little more light reading on the garmin website and others...and lets face it, Garmin have the world market for GA hi tech largely to themselves so that is the most likely manufacturer for TSO'd IFR units.

My understanding is the certified GDL90 will be a stand alone (imbedded C145a GPS) ADSB compliant, data generating unit which will transmit the required data via the GTX330(D) Mode S 1090es unit...although no mention of ADSB-out capability appears anywhere in the GTX330(D) spec sheet, and 3rd qtr 20007 is here, it appears the obvious vehicle.

It seems the only capability the extended squiter transmission has is the basic IAS/ALT/TRK/ID info that provides the desired AsA result of 'radar like' monitoring within the ADS-B coverage...ADS-B out.

If ADS-B in is desired it must come via UAT (or VDL4)....neither of which are options currently even remotely being considered by AsA...Do I have that right...the ES is a transmit (limited) data only deal?

AsA makes much of the GBAS/GRAS GNSS enabled precision approach capability at any airport with 23nm of the ground station...so MB/BK/AF/PF/JK/RED/CAB etc could all benefit, theoretically, by being within that 23nm and have precision approaches down to cat 1 minimas.

How...what unit will be required to interpret the digital signal and display it on your CDI/HSI...at what cost?

Just why GNSS Cat 1 minimas are going to get the airlines all wet between the legs escapes me...they have that now and really need CAT2/3 at the capital city primaries to reduce interstate diversion due fog. The saving for the airlines are not JUST from not doing diversions on a handfull of days each year either...they'd save every day by not tankering interstate diversion fuel into Sydney from halfway around the world just in case weather goes below CAT 1 minimas. I am sure we wouldn't arrive in Per with 12000kg++ in our 767s if 03/21 was Cat3b ND or BN divert fuel into Sydney.

We're not getting SBAS/WAAS...technology that would enable equipment already fitted to 1000s of GA aircraft in Australia and would have mittigated 'Australia's worst air disaster'...and would be a revolutionary game changer for regional/charter and private IFR operations within Australia.

The SAR case is overstated to an extent that borders on Pythonesque given the proposed GRAS/GBAS coverage at low altitude.

No inflight weather because of no UAT/VDL4....you gotta admit it would be nice to able to download the AsA weather info inflight for a nominal fee...we get it free now via the WWW on the ground.

All we might get is a remote mounted GDL90/ModeS 1090Es combo that releases AsA from 100s of millions of $ in equipment renewal.

What an OBSCENE missed opportunity

Increased safety?

Really...How?

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 19th Sep 2007 at 16:59.