PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 15:24
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redfield,

Thanks for that - it was the lack of information that got up my nose and also that of some fellow pax from what they were saying.

WATABENCH,

I can only deduce from the master plan which, although intensely detailed in much of its content, does not actually mention stand sizes or even air bridges as far as I can see. However, there are some plans and sketches within the publication that appear to depict three air bridges.

In one sketch five aircraft are parked nose-in to the expanded terminal (along the extended line of the current stands 1 to 3). Two of these appear to be large aircraft. Three others are parked at right-angles to the five and it is these stands that appear to be provided with air bridges (coming from a pier that is built at right-angles to the front of the terminal building). Of course, all this might be just for illustrative purposes with the aircraft sizes not meant to be to scale.

Like you, I am sure there will be provision to take wide-bodied aircraft on some of the stands adjacent to the terminal.

B_T

The business flyer is an intriguing animal though, and one of many shades.

There are some, like my son, who are content to use low-cost airlines for their convenience.

He is not a bit interested in aviation, other than as a means to convey him around the world. He is employed by a US conglomerate and his grade entitles him to at least business-class travel. Like me, he hates LHR with a passion although has to use it at times.

For his US trips he has taken to using the CO business/first connection from BRS via EWR. As he lives in the Bristol area it is very convenient and he speaks well of the experience, although he is not so complimentary about CO's domestic first-class product.

He also uses easyJet a lot for business from BRS, and FR from BRS to DUB and SNN.

I have asked him about FR and his view is that as long as the flight operates more or less on time and safely, he has no problem with the airline’s basic service over such short sectors. He prefers these airlines to the turbo-props (‘noisy propeller planes’ as he calls them) of Aer Arann and Flybe that he has also used from BRS on business.

Kelly,

Yes, Go had a certain je ne sais quoi that put it above most other lo-cos in the service it provided. Perhaps it just seemed a bit classier (its chief exec was not a hindrance in this regard) and of course it allocated seat numbers at check-in.