PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fired engineer calls 787's plastic fuselage unsafe
Old 19th Sep 2007, 13:50
thabo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A and C & Captain Bloggs

A&C:

youre right, i didnt think of that.

Captain B:

I don't even know what movies are, I have no time to watch them.

at 36000ft with a decent rate of what? 8000ft/min? its going to take you a while to get your passengers back to an altitude where they can breath the oxygen they are being supplied with.

with regard to absorbing impact energy... the vast majority of energy is absorbed during plastic-deformation. cars are designed to have crumple zones which absorb as much energy as possible so that the driver doesn't have to. thats the reason that car accidents look so much worse than they did 20 years ago.

when it comes to designing planes, you take into account maximum flight loads and then add a 5% safety margin or so. you can't design a plane to withstand a crash, the kinetic anergy is just too great and it can not be dissapated.

There is work being done on using composite fittings inside the airplane that produce less toxic fumes when they burn, but you can never produce a plastic for wall panels etc. that is light, sturdy & doesnt burn at all.