PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Economist: Pilot Pay Rising
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2001, 07:37
RRAAMJET

Thumbs down

Before we go any further, it might be usefull to point out that the Economist article was full of (deliberate?) distortions and inaccuracies. "..bracing for a summer of discontent...with AA..." - WHAT A LOAD OF BALONEY. Our openers don't start till then, and you can be sure the company's going to drag things out. Can't strike till released by the mediator, and that's a ways down the road, if it gets that far.

And as usual, no mention of paycuts and freezes over the past 2 decades, index-linked.

Pilot shortage? Not really - at least, not at the companies mentioned in the article.

And then there's the Welsh Viqueen: oh dear.
More inaccuracies. 50 hrs a month... Believes all that he reads in the press, that boy. "... friends with better qualifications than pilots..." - hmmm. We have several pilots with medical degrees, dental degrees, at least 2 Shuttle pilots, shall I go on? Not a promising start to your chosen career path, I'm afraid, laddie.

BUT: I do agree that it is plain silly to negotiate beyond the company's means. Reason has to take hold here, and that's the whole idea of pattern bargaining. ( Calm down, Guv, I still don't agree with you ). The fact is, Comair CAN afford to pay more, and it's workers know it. I strongly suspect the other majors are providing moral support to DL - they dread the discontent spreading to the other commuters.