PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Economist: Pilot Pay Rising
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2001, 00:31
Scottie

Angry

Welsh Viking,

100 hours you quote is FLYING HOURS. Time spent *at work* is generally in the region of 40-50 hours a week. Take into account unsociable hours, roster disruption lack of lifestyle planning etc and *when & if* you become a pilot you'll see what we mean.

Guvnor,

My mates I graduated uni with are all building construction professionals. After having the state pay for their degree and after 5 years in industry they are all earning in excess of £45k, one was offered a job at over £60k.

These are just ordinary Quantity Surveyors in London, in a couple of years they'll be earning £50k, £60k or £70k for doing a not too difficult job. Pay in certain professions is racing ahead, why should we be left behind?

They make money for their employers and I make money for my employers. Worst they can find themselves in is down at the dole office. Bit different for the rest of us!

Having said that my sister has 7 years experience as a teacher and earns a whopping £21k.......but that's up to her!

As for pilots costing the company money, well the cadets my company take on represent less than 10% of the recruited workforce. That leaves 90% who are either ex mil, self sponsored or have payed their bonds off from other companies. The cadets are on a reduced salary for 5 years paying back their training costs. Hardly costing the company much is it?

[This message has been edited by Scottie (edited 15 May 2001).]