PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video footage of TAP A310 in extreme low flying turn at airshow
Old 19th Sep 2007, 11:12
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krueger - what do I say to those videos? Well the Spitfire was very impressive! The Tornadoes I'm rather more dubious about as the only indication that they are RAF comes from the titles, added by somebody who can't spell course. There are no idents on the aircraft and nobody in the video is speaking English. Sounds more like German to me, and the Luftwaffe do operate a lot of Tornadoes.

All that is beside the point though as neither of those videos are airshows. The Tornado one looks like a few mil boys doing a beat up of the airfield, there are no crowds of public spectators and I doubt they went to the authorities to get approval for that flypast. The Spitfire would have had approval to do it legitimately, and having flown with someone who is frequently involved in this kind of historical flying for TV they have had to have gone to the UK authorities with full details of the procedure and had it specifically approved. Again, it was a private flypast, not a public airshow. Would they have been permitted to perform the same manouvre in an airliner in front of thousands of spectators? Not a chance.

The Red Bull air race didn't slip through the net either, especially as this years one was in the heart of Londons Docklands, under the approach path to London City airport, beneath the approach path for LHR and watched by 50,000 people. I was there, the aircraft were never on a trajectory that would have taken them into the crowd and despite what you like to imply there is a world of difference between flying an Extra 300 and an Airbus 300. The Extra can safely execute a 20ft banking flypast with margins for error. The Airbus can't, and will make a much bigger hole when it goes wrong.