PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I had Engine faillure for 1 second during take-off
Old 19th Sep 2007, 08:35
sternone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your reactions,

I suspect you don't mean that you were staring at a stationary prop, or for that matter even lost all power.
A briefly sticking valve (usually due to lead fouling) would seem like quite an abrupt power loss, and is not that unusual.
Other than that, maybe some kind of lean cut; water or dirt in the carburetter, or an overlean mixture due to air leak or carb adjustment.
I had a feeling that the prop was still turning, which means to me that it could be ofcorse less than 1 second... a sticking valve, does that takes down all cilinders ?? Because the engine made no sound at all anymore.. first it was simmering, but then it died...

Find another instructor.
Luckely in my new flying school i get another teacher almost every lesson.. hehe

but, did you put carb heat on? Was there a slightly higher than normal RPM reading (assuming you were on full power on the climb out) if you did? How long was the carb heat on for before you closed it on short final?
Carb heat was on from beginning base to short final..what is that 3 minutes ? but i tought icing was not so common with full power ?? it was at least running at full power for 30 seconds ?

Must be fuel.
Auch

Could be that the engine more or less "choked" for a second from too much fuel
It was at least minimum 30 seconds after i applied full power, is that choking still possible then ??

I'd be guessing at fuel/fuel contamination.
I really really always drain very very good, also the drainer on the bottom of the fuselage, wich many people seem to forget to be there in a 152, that's were mostly the nasty stuff come out of it !! (and no i do not mean pulling the handle next to the oil check, i mean going on the floor and using the drainer!!!)