PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raaf Imps
Thread: Raaf Imps
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 07:06
Gundog01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspector G

The RAAF is never going to be all things to all people. It is a hard slog dragging a wife and kids around the country but where else do you get to do the sort of flying that we do, sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

I am starting to get the impression that flying in the RAAF might be fantastic to start with, but loses it's appeal in the latter half of ones ROSO.
It all depends on your situation. Many people are enjoy their career just as much once their ROSO has expired. It depends what motivates you. If you want to join for the money dont bother. If you want exciting and challenging flying, not to mention the best kit and best bunch of blokes to work with go for it.

I understand that the reposting of aircrew is around every 2 years,
Typical posting is 3 years for aircrew. There is a typical progression that the RAAF expects of its pilots. Be a line driver at a sqn for 3-4 years, go to QFI (flying instructors course) 2-3 years, then return to a sqn to be a QFI on an operational type 3-4 years. That basically accounts for a 10 year ROSO. However, there is any number of options. If you want a break after your first posting ther is always a ground job (which vary in quality), or you might be lucky to get an overseas exchange to US or UK, or simply change aircraft types eg: Hercs to C-17 and do another 3-4 year tour.

Are they at all lenient towards keeping you at your current posting while retaining your aircrew position,
There is scope to stay in location, however this generally comes at the expense of you career. Ie, take a ground job instead of moving and keeping flying. Anything is possible, but i wouldn't expect to stay in 1 location for a full ROSO, 2-4 moves is pretty standard.

what would be my progression of postings/aircraft
The timeline below is minimum times, expect delays between course etc.
After PC9 training those not selceted for fighters go to transport/maritime patrol straigh away.

CT4 - 6 months
PC9 - 9-10 months
Hawk 1- year
Hornet 6 months.

Daily Life
If you are lucky you will fly every day. If not your day is spent shooting the breeze in the crew room, doin secondary duties (social club, etc), study for upcoming flights, SLJs (****ey little jobs), a whole bunch of stuff. Drills for Aircrew - -i think not.........

Living on base is generally only mandatory when on training courses, unless you are already married or de-facto. Most people live off as ADF gives a bit of help with rent.

If you havent already i suggest you look at the airforce recruiting website, there is all sorts of info on there about joinging. GOOD LUCK