PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and skyscraper fires
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 21:25
stas-fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof top rescue - Helibasket

While at the Middle East Heli conference this year we were shown photos of the American Heli-Basket deployed in Qatar. The training they completed included an abseil arrival, clearing the roof first, securing the site with bods and then bringing a helibasket (capacity 15+pax I think) then fly circiuts picking up and dropping off. They used a S61 or Sea King I think

The reason the basket is so effective was demonstrated a few months ago when in Dubai a building burnt and they tried to winch off the roof top crowd one at a time under a Puma. several hours later less than one basket load lifted!

During Heli -mid east myself and others were initially critical of the concept but admit now we were basing our thoughts on our European standards of reliable fire service, unlocked Stairways and good build standards. Not always there in all parts of the world

Then you look at ships, Rigs, buildings too tall even for Western tenders and flooding and I think roof top rescue is the tip of the iceburg in new ideas for Heli rescue.

We also saw a rescue Umbrella called E.S.C.A.P.E which looked much more fun but not for Joe publics use, unless you want to scare everyone you rescue shi*less!!