PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video footage of TAP A310 in extreme low flying turn at airshow
Old 18th Sep 2007, 15:14
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simple fact is that a straight and level flypast at 200ft from an airliner would probably be exciting enough for the crowd of spectators. There is no need to throw it around like a fighter. In the UK the display auth minimum height for military jets is, I believe, normally 50ft. So what was this fella's authed minimum?

There is no way that the wingtip was 50ft AGL! Closer to 5-10ft by my conservative estimate. Add to that the fact that the wingtips cannot be seen from the cockpit, and I suggest that it was more by luck than judgement that these cowboys got away with it. You do not need to take risks to do a good display. Leave throwing it around at low level to the Pitts Specials etc.

In my opinion a good pilot keeps a safe margin in hand, (comprising his authorised legal minima + a little bit for his flying accuracy + some for unexpected events + a smidgen for the wife and kids). To leave no margin at all is cocky bad attitude at best and recklessly bad airmanship at worst, and either way, is asking for trouble.

Last edited by Fg Off Max Stout; 18th Sep 2007 at 15:48.