PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resignations at KA
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 15:04
Enuff Said

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Mr FEArookie,
I am an outsider trying to come to grips with your post. I Understand that your expat colleagues are earning double the amount as a local would earn?
Are all local pilots training costs in KA paid by the company..by that i mean,all ab initio etc to commercial or atpl standard?
Have your conditions been changed since your agreement to accept the terms and conditions of your training and subsequent employment ? Are these what you agreed to in the first place?
Traditionally it has been very difficult for an Expat F/o to get a job.The standard company line of why should we employ you when we can employ a local pilot has always made it very difficult.The number of airlines that do this and offer a career progression have been very few. It appears that some of these people have arrived on your doorstep. I do believe that if you want to live an American lifestyle or an Australian lifestyle etc that you should do that in your own country. It is not an easy step leaving your own country to achieve your dreams be it money or career prospects.
You have mentioned Unions as well.They are generally an important circuit breaker when things get heated from either side.Your union will try to negotiate a general payrise in the core elements of your pay.ie base pay,overtime etc,that way every pilot benefits,not to mention the insurance packages offered ..
Lowkoon has mentioned that as a local pilot(Most likely your first job) that there is a difference in experience,but not on expectations.We all want a career path and a decent salary.It has been made difficult when different groups have accepted different terms and conditions and especially when your airline have offered you local terms with no choice. Unfortunately if your agreed to terms have been violated then fight...if you simply now think it is unfair ..perhaps it is too late and the only way to achieve something better is to apply for that airline across the road or further afield.
Each expat pilot will have a different reason for his arrival overseas. Pay..quick command??? KA is a little different in that it offers a long term contract(Open ended) not the two/three or five year gig.There are plenty of jobs out there if you want this type of lifestyle(look for a new job the moment you start the current) but most of us want a long term,stable career path and we move to a place that will offer this.
Are you protected in any way by being on local terms?
If an expat was to screw up..would he or she be kicked out of the country?
I am rambling now
that's about it
enuff said