PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dash 8 gear problems ( Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 14:15
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think the Q400 is quite as bad as speed freek makes out.

When I was at Flybe one of the training captains had the deck angles at which a tail strike would happen - if I remember rightly produced by Bombardier for the accident investigation concerning a tail strike SAS had in the very early days of operating the aircraft. The worst was about 7.5 degrees, but required full oleo compression and maximum tyre squash and ranged up to 12.5 degrees with oleos fully extended. These were actually higher than the attitudes for the dash 8 300 series, which was why the 6 degree warning doesn't appear in the Q400 like it used to in the 300. We used to do all our landings flap 15 unless it was what Flybe called a "short runway" when Flap 35 was mandated - and a gentle flare to about 6.5 degrees nose up gave consistantly smooth landings with a little practice.

Fortunately I never had to fly a real SE approach, but several TREs allowed me to try it in the sim when we had spare time and the autopilot was quite capable of doing it - once the engine is shut down and feathered and the approach stabilised the power changes and thus yaw resulting are minimal and easily compensated for by the rudder trim. I was told that the only reason for not using the A/P on SE approaches was that Bombardier were scared of possible law suits if something went wrong. I was also told that SAS had an SOP to use it despite what Bombardier said, and that the Swedish CAA was happy about that - however that may just have been heresay.

Whether you would intentionally shut an engine down in these circumstances is probably a question of personal preference which is open to debate, but it appears that one of these crews didn't - and there were injuries as a result of the prop disintegrating, and one crew did, and there weren't.