PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - when students turn green!
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:23
pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there!
I want to share my motion sickness experience with you!
First of all:
I discovered that bags aren't apparently designed for 4g when 1/2 full .
Good one, indeed!
Second:
I threw up over my FI for my first full lesson, great way to start a relationship.
It really is for sure. I spent everlonging 10 miles apologizing, and was quite worried wether if I'd be able to overcome it. Good thing about the 172 are those big upward opening windows, but the instructor got his share while holding it (his watch looked nice!), and the final result was not so bad taking into account that I was "on short final" when I "reported". The guy had been quite nice with me.
Third and last!:
7) Get them to divest as many clothes as possible before they get in. There is no way they will get cold but they will certainly get too hot.
Maybe it doesn't affect everyone the same way, but heat really makes me feel sick. If I am to be sick, heat really increases the effect, if not the only cause. For me... some times that I'm hot inside a moving vehicle I end up quite sick.
Yet another one is getting my head down to read. Even I can't stand up while reading something into a table for a "long period", like reading a newspeparer or so. Getting my head down to read sometimes helps sicknss to appear.
And another cause, that may seem ridiculous, is smell. If I smell something disgusting, I have a chance to be sick. For instance, the mix of exhaust, oil, gas and ages of not cleaning that we can find in the average general aviation airplane is specially disgusting for me. Even more disgusting is the smell that sticks to your clothes, I feel really uncomfortable after flying some airplanes. So I'm quite scared of having the type of guy that forgets to go for a touch and go into the bathtube once in a while. More than the smells themselves, I think the problem is that if I keep smelling something, I get distracted from what I'm doing, so it may be kinda increasing workload or reducing concetration that helps getting sick. My sisters' godmother is also prone to get sick due to smells.
Just a final thought. Although I didn't visit the doctor I guess my "trend" to become sick has to do something with the little equilibrium I have and vertigo. Since I remember, I have always had little equilibrium to stand on one foot or over a wall, and when pushing, pulling and so was normally the first to fall. Even practising taekwondo I have problems sometimes to roll and so. And then I have always had vertigo. Although it seems a paradox, whenever there's not a barrier or something that makes me feel safe, I really have a bad feeling. Even I discovered that dropping skydivers, for the runs I have flown as passeger, as soon I saw the guys open the door and jump I felt quite strange, and I realized I was grabbing the handle too stiff unconciosly. If I'm sit and tied, it's gone. And of course I dislike climbing to places where I have to maintain equilibrium by myself like standing on top of a ladder or being close to a high edge like cliffs and buildings or riding a horse.
By the way, I've never felt sick riding in a rollercoaster (I love them!), in a boat (small and big boats with all sorts of waves), train, bus or airliner. But... in the car I used to feel sick quite often when I was a child, and once in a while I still have the odd day.
Hope this helps you understand how some people get sick. I think it's particular to each individual.
Regards / Pablo

Last edited by pablo; 18th Sep 2007 at 14:05.