PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 6
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 11:43
END BAG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Midlands 6

Hi All
I am one of the "lucky" guys who off-loads and re-loads those 180 bags so i will give you all the lowdown on a Ryanair turnround. Four men allocated to the job,ONE MAN GETS A SET OF STEPS,ONE MAN G.P.U. ONE MAN CHOCKS&CONES AND ONE MAN LUGGAGE BARROWS. All equipment in place for a/c arrival then all put in correct positions and a/c offloadedwith 2 men inside a/c hold and 2 men outside. After bags offloaded one man goes to arrivals leaving three men for onload 2 men in hold and i man outside.Runs like clockwork nine times out of ten until there is a passenger offload which is WHAT CAUSES MOST OF THE DELAYS.Ican understand a passenger offload when repeated calls go unanswered with no sign of pax but MANY,MANY times pax are offloaded who are actually stood at the gate!!!!!!! At E.M.A. this is the difference between running the pax to the a/c in two minutes from the gate or offloading up to 180 bags which could take 20MINUTES if the bag has been loaded off the first cart. Never quite understood the logic of the delay equation 2 mins or 20 mins. I KNOW THERE HAS TO BE A GATE CLOSING TIME BUT TO HAVE IT SO FINE IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE SOMETIMES.Ihave been a headset man for 14 years so i was taught by on old-timer and he always started his headset call with"Ground to flight deck good day SIR" and i have always adressed thr flight deck as "SIR" but would be interested to know if the modern day headset men are still taught the same way.Any captains enlighte me?