PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Information
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 10:46
R680

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to add a strong warning here. Months ago I came to these pages to try and find out some information on Jet Airways. Such hard information was difficult to come by. I took the plunge, and have mostly regretted it. The people you work with at Jet are very nice, the best part of the job. However, management has proved to be people you simply can't trust. In the west, when a contract is signed it may be counted on to mean what it says. Not so in India. They seem to think it is shrewd to sign a document with no intention of upholding the terms. Of course, you will be held to the terms.

Even those who may have had better experiences in the past here need to be aware that a new exec has been brought in to run the flight department, from SIA. He has a terrible reputation, and he is living up to it here.

I see that much of the discussion here is from pilots just beginning their flying careers, and hoping to get that first "jet job". While you might get that here, just be aware you are making a deal with the devil, and you are leaving yourself open to just about anything. India, at least in the places you are likely to be lodged, is not very pleasant. I'd be very careful about committing oneself to a long term contract without seeing what you are getting into first.

Also, dealing with the DGCA is a wonder in itself. It makes the FAA seem rational. It is an arcane bureaucracy mired in 1930's British Air Law. Makes you wonder what all those salary pullers have been doing at all those desks the last 60 years.

In all, a friendly warning to all who come this way: Do not expect business to be as you understand it "back home". My guess is you'd be better served coming up the regional airline way, and save a lot of separation time from your families.

One pilot's opinion.