PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 10:18
slingsby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having just been to HKT, I can say that our crew executed a missed approach "due to storm over end of airport" ( his words not mine ), we were approaching 09. 10 mins later after a scenic view of Phuket island, we made an approach to 27, with the prevailing wind. Slightly faster, a little more pitch and roll than I would have expected, and a lot more hard braking than any of us expected, we turned off at the threshold of 09....
Winds were +40knts down and slightly across 09 after we disembarked, rain and heavy gusts...
Observations of the Finn video:
Wind is prevalent for RW27 / runway distance marker is 04, anyone see 05 or 03, not likely as you can see down 09 towards the threshold of 27, a large wall of precipitation reducing RVR. Wind is not strong in the video, but as these local CBs move fairly fast, the wind could have been much higher a few minutes earlier, with downdraughts and microbursts.
One thing I have not seen on any pictures ( ready to be corrected ) or even this video, is the lack of ground skid marks from the runway to impact site. Is a thought about a potential ground loop from the touch down point to the point of impact so far fetched.
God rest all.