PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted need to do better
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 08:22
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WorkingHard
SS .... you are well out of order Sir. GA is NOT repeat NOT rich private pilots at all
What I said was US AOPA don't go around pissing people off telling them that these spoilt private pilots with too much money and their noisy toys have 'rights' So what do I mean by that?

Well, it's a perception of many and it will be used against GA for the slightest reason. When Kennedy Jr crashed there were newspaper articles calling private pilots the 'NRA of the air' and that's a negative connotation that needs to be avoided.

One way to avoid it is to lobby quietly and behind the scenes. Don't get on your soap box and demand your 'rights' - especially when what you are demanding isn't a right at all. If you read the context of the offending sentence in my posts and then in the context of the thread you might see what I mean.

Though I do accept it could read the way you did, so hope I have cleared that up.

What do you do with people who fly over the village because it is their 'right' to do so, and buggers it up for the rest of us when the council gets complaints and starts investigating? Hopefully you slap these people down....

Just for interest, my opinion is that there is a sizeable minority of GA pilots who fit my description, but the vast majority are decent and hard working people enjoying a hobby that is becoming less politically correct every day.

So we need lobbyists to fight our corner, but as I also said - you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. So do as DFC says, and log every refusal and let the more diplomatic people take that up with the authorities. I would not be good at that, and neither would other people who have posted on this thread. At least I admit it