PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video footage of TAP A310 in extreme low flying turn at airshow
Old 18th Sep 2007, 05:27
nojwod

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Bud Holland

This relatively safe climbing turn that was quite benign in still air close to the ground and was only increased in angle once a positive climb was established cannot be compared to a cowboy who took an aircraft beyond its aerodynamic envelope. If you can't see the difference between the two circumstances then neither I nor anyone else will ever be able to help you see beyond your blind prejudices.

I wish to stress that I do not deny that there was an element of risk in the performance. There is an element of risk in everything to do with aviation, my point has been that although this LOOKED like a risky manoeuvre, in the hands of a good pilot, in the conditions prevailing on the day, the risk was relatively minimal. There will always be wowsers who demand that ALL risk be removed from all activities. There are also those amongst us (and I am one) who are prepared to face a small amount of risk in my life to ensure I actually LIVE MY LIFE.

I would prefer it if wowsers and stick-in-the-muds, who think an airshow should be about aircraft flying down the flightline at 500 minimums wings level until they exit the airshow boundaries, stay at home and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy the feeling of being alive.