PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raaf Imps
Thread: Raaf Imps
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2007, 04:40
Inspector G.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must admit that as seeing I too am seriously considering a similar career path to Lowspirited, that I have many questions along similar lines (my apologies in advance - this may be a thread hijack )

Having talked to recruitment officers and spent a good amount of time browsing both this and the cadet forums, I still find myself cautious about going through with the whole thing. Although not worried so much about all the rigmarole to do with being in the military (ie drills, training etc), I am cautious about later life in the service. I'd quite happily sign up today knowing that as my situation changes that the service would help cater for that.. however, having read many a post on the strain military life places on individuals and their families I am starting to get the impression that flying in the RAAF might be fantastic to start with, but loses it's appeal in the latter half of ones ROSO.

Now I tend to take what the recruiters tell me with a bit of salt, no offence to them they are great guys, I just get the impression it's their job to get people through the door. So if anyone with experience in the service could assist I would be most thankfull.

I'm not so much worried about a complete mental breakdown as Lowspirited is, I have a fair idea what i'm signing up for and the tasks that this may involve. But what happens in the event that a family is sprung upon me? Accidents do happen! I understand that the reposting of aircrew is around every 2 years, making for some very annoyed 'significant others' should they have to traipse around the country behind me. How does the service react to situations like this? Are they at all lenient towards keeping you at your current posting while retaining your aircrew position, will you have to resort to a ground job to keep your posting, or will they move you around no matter what? I realise that all this is a fair way down the line, but i'm not in the business of wasting either my own or the RAAF's time so would prefer to know what im getting myself into from the beginning. Or join the RNZAF - I hear Bulls is nice this time of year.

And now for a slight thread hijack..

Assuming that I make it through all the entry requirements and find myself with an offer to join as a pilot, what would be my progression of postings/aircraft on the way to both the fighters or to the larger transport aircraft? Recruiters indicated a reposting every 2 years, so would this mean that once through the training stage and onto a type, that this wont be the only type I fly in my RAAF career? Or is it just a case of flying the same thing in another part of the country?

Daily life. I must watch far too many movies.. surely it's not an early start to the sound of a bugle, some running, some drills (although I hear this bit may be true ), then off to fly around all day? So what is the average day in the life of RAAF aircrew?

What's the living situation? Is living on base mandatory or can you find somewhere off base to call home?

I probably have a heap more questions, just none really spring to mind right now (hence why my chats with the recruiters are often short..). But apolgies for the slight thread hijack, and thanks in advance to anyone able to shed some light on my queries.

Last edited by Inspector G.; 18th Sep 2007 at 06:20.