PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risk of Mid-Air Collision At Navigational Beacons
Old 17th Sep 2007, 13:42
LysanderV8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use VORs and airfields for convenience, and keep a continual scan going, but I also prefer to talk to ATC as well as listen out. I do tend to avoid "common" altitudes.

I am not one of the folks who prefer to keep radio silence outside CAS, and it continues to surprise me that here are so many out there. Some say they listen out, but this is so selfish. If you claim to listen out, you are thus expecting to hear something of benefit to you. It is only common safety sense to speak as well, so that others may have an inkling of where your aircraft may be.

With the introduction last week of the new Farnborough LARS right the way across to Detling and down to the South coast, we should all be making proper use of this excellent enhancement to flight safety. There is no excuse in my book for failing to use it when it covers Class G airspace which gets very congested on sunny days. And I have no involvement in ATC or CAA, just a healthy regard for my own wellbeing in the air.