PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using my new PPL in California
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2007, 10:42
mattkcraven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi steve,

I did the same and flew around the bay area only 6 months after passing my PPL. The paperwork as already described takes a while and needs to be started well in advance.

Training wise then I did 4 hours dual in a PA28-161. This included being shown how to navigate the 'Bay Tour' which meant flying overhead the international airport at San Fran'. So no worries about 'lack of experience', it is surprisingly straight forward once you get your head around the local procedures, especially if you are further south towards San Jose. Just expect plenty of crosswind landings.

The FSDO is at Oakland international was very helpful and flexible, I just had to say when I wanted the appointment, and you recieve the temp licence there and then (the actual licence arrives a few weeks later).

All i can say is go for it really, I had a brilliant time taking my family up and around the Bay, flying parallel with a Virgin 747 on approach, going for breakfast at Half Moon Bay, lunch at Napa County .....want to go back!!

So you know then I flew from San Carlos with the West Valley Flying Club, just let me know if you want any more info.

Happy flying