PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2007, 08:17
gate 22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I accept BHD will get a 600m runway extension along with an extended operating time until 12 midnight. All this will enable transatlantic flights, wide bodied jets (especially fuelled with FR's transatlantic ambitions). It will also give BHD an equal playing field against BFS. They will probably also construct a second terminal on the opposite side of the runway. Basically it will become the main airport for Belfast like GLA. I wouldn't have thought this 7 years ago with its close proximity to a large built-up area extending from Belvoir to Cultra, but recent events from 2001 would suggest that the commercial desire from Bhd is to great to stop. The planners, residents and government can't stop it. I for one don't live under the flight path so this won't affect me, and I would support one airport for Belfast its too small for 2. However if the government were to state this then investment in infrastructure to accommodate this, could start now. Eg widening M3/Sydneham By-pass. Providing new link from Fortwilliam/Holywood thus by-passing Belfast altogether. The way things are going in 10 years BFS will be a 24 hr operation cargo centre with 'FR' and a couple of other low costs. Not unlike Prestwick.