PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2007, 06:11
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
If this thread was about a crew's response to a GPWS alert: "Whoop Whoop PULL UP!", which involved pushing the stick forward instead of back, would there be much in the way of technical discussion required?
I would have thought it was a straightforward exercise to list the differences between a ground proximity warning and an RA.

1. Ground proximity is based on radio altimetry, not on self-advertisement from another electronic device.
2. That altimetry is measuring something definite and very close
3. What it is measuring will not move and requires no projected CPA that must be monitored during the manoeuvre in case a different advisory is required
4. You are way out of legal airspace when you get that warning, so the likelihood that there is someone else around you is just about zero and you can pretty much do what you like.

After all, to manouevre against an RA is the worst possible case... doing nothing (anything!) is a better option.
I introduced a specific scenario. Maybe if airmen doesn't want to address it, then you can? Why is manoeuvring against the RA the "worst possible option" in the specific scenario I gave?

I agree that it is difficult/impossible to "prove" TCAS logic for multi-aircraft encounters but do you think you'd do any better as a human with only a limited view out of a small window and seconds to make a decision?
Those are not the only two options. Another arises when you have an advisory to manoeuvre to avoid a conflict from same-level or higher, and you have an aircraft below you in sight. What would your decision be and why?

PBL