PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80 plane crash in Phuket, Sep. 07
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2007, 01:39
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe;

TwoOneFour's notion got me looking more closely. I'm still looking at the various photos/video-stills. I see what you mean in re the trees/gap etc. I think it could perhaps be a bit closer to the X (north side) but not much. In GoogleEarth for example there is a road from the north which comes up to the perimeter of the field and then T's east and west. I'm thinking that it came to rest near that road, slightly before or after. Any location well before that point begins to place the 737 on the ramp "out of position", (not enough out in the open). Here's another view:

The whole exercise will be academic shortly - we'll all know quite quickly where the actual scene was with continued photo coverage.

I often wish the news media would do this kind of elementary homework. A lot of basic questions can be answered with a general layout of the accident scene but the media just never get it or even think to ask these kinds of questions.

The BBC video purporting to be "right after" the accident doesn't verify "strong" winds but there appears a 10 to 15kt wind blowing - nothing dramatic, and while there is rain, it's not the kind described by many including the media - one expected the kind of weather that Singapore 006 encountered for example, which was far more "severe" (that is the term used by eyewitnesses), than the weather both video'd and reported in the METARs at the time of the accident. An interview with another gentlemen from Flight International mentions windshear but such phenomena almost always come from thunderstorms and there were none reported in the METARS - the METAR is entirely unremarkable, so we'll have to wait to see what went unreported, unobserved, if anything.

Are we getting the impression from passenger accounts that this occurred on the first go-around? It will be interesting too, to learn what the words "then we took a sharp right and we started going for the ground" and the report that the a/c "bounced" before colliding with the embankment/drainage ditch. Several scenarios present themselves.

PJ

Last edited by PJ2; 17th Sep 2007 at 01:53.