PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dash 8 gear problems ( Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 23:38
speed freek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people learn from experience.... some never learn.
Well what about a bit of common sense? Or experience on the type you fly?

Some background info on the Q400. Big props and an even bigger engine. Single engine it's fine to fly. Probably better than it is on two.....BUT.....it does increse pilot-flying workload because it has a two axis autopilot. ANY power change results in a rudder trim change. So most of your attention is gone just keeping the bloody thing in trim. Because of the two axis autopilot the approach has to be hand flown. Again, increase in workload, even if it is just following the flight director. The approach and landing has to be Flap 15 rather than 35 to meet performance criteria in case of a go-around and the extra drag isn't really needed any way. In the last stages of the approach the aircraft sits about 4-5 degrees nose up and we get a tail strike warning after 6. So you can't flare or arrest the descent with an increase in pitch or you'll bang the tail - every flap 15 I've had the 'pleasure' of being a part of has been a serious thumper.

So, back to our little scenario. You want to fly an aircraft, that has a dodgy main leg, and complicate it by flying a hand-flown single engine approach, which will result in a very firm landing. Fair enough.

And whoes to say that the prop won't still penetrate the fuselage even if it's 'stopped'? I'm sure Bombardier would have let us know that that was the recommended technique.

..........but what do I know?