PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 21:24
flyingnewbie10

PJ2,

First of all thanks for your post.

I asked that question about the correlation between EPR and actual thrust in KN in order to get an aproximate value for the thrust yielded by engine n. 2 (the one with the TL above idle) in the accident in Congonhas and compare it with the thrust yielded by the correspondent engine in the TransAsia accident to get some hint about brake efficiency in both cases.

1 - TAM PR-MBK: 1.18 EPR; (800m above msl)
2 - TransAsia: 1.08 EPR; (aprox. 0m msl I guess)

Probably the thrust in KN varies with aircraft speed and altitude. The drag changes as well. PR-MBK was heavier.

I had already found that explanation from Nasa but I think there is some data still missing to do the math (ETR for instance).

Within a certain speed the investigation team could test it with an actual A320 in the runway (GRU for instance - a long runway). Of course actual thrust would be "distorted" by drag but naturally the same happened with the PR-MBK and also in TransAsia accident.

Maybe a simulator could help. Of course the simulated event would involve one single engine at 1.18 and then at 1.08 EPR without braking and from lower to higher speed and get the respective acceleration(s)