PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane down sadly
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 16:42
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Somehow, before you know the name, you can almost convince yourself that it isn’t going to be one of those fantastic warbird pilots that we all know. Then you hear that it was, after all, the most likely person to have been flying G-HURR, Brian Brown. My slight acquaintance with him suggested an entirely lovely man, who had more than 80 types in his logbook, and whose modesty was exemplified by his telling me that his day job was ‘cutting the grass at Breighton’. He meant that he was the aerodrome operator.

He also told me his most memorable flight was flying G-HURR as one of three Hurricanes in the magnificent 26-ship formation over Duxford to celebrate the Battle of Britain 60th anniversary in 2000.

So he will, undoubtedly, be sorely missed professionally. I can’t even begin to imagine what his loss will mean privately.

But one thing I am sure of. Like many another warbird pilot, Brian’s death will surely have been quick and clean, and it happened in the course of the job that he loved most in all the world.

I salute you Brian - and I thank you for the immense pleasure that you have given over the years. Perhaps you too would have found the coincidence of your final flight and Battle of Britain Day significant. Rest in peace.

airsound