PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabees & Recruitment III
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 15:14
Newnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bank accounts

Hi there,
I've been with Ek for one year this month - what a year, I don't know where it's gone! Regarding bank accounts, when I joined basically what happened was that 'bankers' from various banks would 'stalk us' with forms and various offers. You'll find that most banks offer 'good deals' to crew, especially with credit cards as we are notorious spenders! (I had 3 at one point all from the same bank but have since cancelled two which I never used, and the other one is automatically paid off each time I am paid. I'd strongly recommend new joiners to do the same as many get into huge debt traps!). By the way the interest rates advertised are often per month as opposed to per annum so don't be fooled by that 2% interest rate!! Ek advise you a little on which banks are reputable - I'm with HSBC and have had no probs, however I've heard that a lot of people have (never getting statements, etc). It's not an option to have an account in your home country for your salary to be deposited into. International transfers are available though thru James Cook I believe. I would advise bringing over around 1000 dhs (around $350Au I think/$400nz) to tie you over until you get the money from Ek - I think you get this in the first week from memory. I lived in a hotel for the first 5 weeks when I arrived but I believe there's lots of new accomodation now so this probably wont be the case for new joiners. Hope this helps a lil bit - c ya'all soon