PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurofighter a dud - London plans to reduce order for obsolescent fighter
Old 15th Sep 2007, 17:44
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
DZ - Apologies for lack of clairity.

The point I was attempting to make was based on LM's statement about the JCA's range being vastly superior to Typhoon. I see now that it should have asked:

"Is your range comparison with F-35's underwing pylons fitted or not?"

I was endeavouring to ascertain whether or not LM had considered that factors such as whether JCA had pylons fitted, how many pylons Typhoon had fitted (seven or nine? With what hanging from them?) , etc, etc might have implications for comparing the brochure figures on range that he's referring to. Was his comparison fair, based on that sort of consideration, or a half-baked generalisation based on the LMart brochure?

That was all, but in haste I obviously wasn't as clear as I might have wished. I will admit to be pro-Typhoon in so far as all the info I have from those who fly it and from forward air control types who have done some practice with it suggests that it is an excellent aircraft that will do an awfully good job for the RAF - but we need enough of them. I don't, however, think that it is an all-singing, all-dancing panacea in the way that some spotters in another place I occasionally visit to see how well Jackonicko's faring in the face of their ignorance think that their precious Rafale is...

At the same time, I am equally pro-JSF/JCA. And we need enough of them as well. If we're talking about Typhoon and JCA having service lives of 35-40 years, imposing cuts on either is a bad idea. However, as things stand, it appears that the dear old Treasury will leave the RAF with not quite enough Typhoons before setting about the MoD so that we end up with not quite enough JCA either.