PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2007, 12:25
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsieker
- How many incidents have there been in which this particular thust-lever handling mistake was a causal factor?
Besides Congonhas, three incidents, all involving runway excursions:-

Taipei - swerved off 9,200-foot runway 300 feet from the end and finished up in a ditch.

Phoenix - swerved off 11,500-foot runway to right. I don't know how far along it the aeroplane got, sorry.

Bacolod - swerved off 5,932-foot runway, then back on again - finally ran off the end, across a river, and into a village.

I don't see any common factors so far as runway length is concerned - looks as if, if the asymmetric thrust causes you to swerve off it anyway, the length is immaterial.

Originally Posted by bsieker
I believe in the end, the arguement for concentrating on the aircraft is a political one. It seems to much easier to "fix the aircraft", or blame people, than to extend a runway in a densely populated area.
Frankly mystified by that comment? What is 'political' about it? Don't you think that the Taiwanese suggestion of a simple warning system covering BOTH levers has some merit? Wouldn't cost much, wouldn't take long, and might very well end the problem once and for all?