PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2007, 08:39
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyingnewbie
Should we discard a below average braking system effectiveness ? One of the last maintenance reports for the PR-MBK, if I am not wrong, is related to problems in the braking system.
That maximum brake pedal application is related to *some* deceleration is proof enough that the brakes were working. That the deceleration was so slow is an indication of low friction and the anti-skid system kicking-in to prevent tyre lock. (the illustration of the results are to be constated on the TPE graphs that are more complete and show that with full brakes, the hydraulic pressure applied to the discs oscillates between 1800+ psi and 200). If that is not the indication of sliding wheels the antis-skid tends to prevent, hence a *contaminated* runway, I don't know what is.
Back to the CGH graphs, by time tag :30, a definite deceleration can be seen and is related to the #1 reverser -and to some extent aerodynamic drag- only.
So, the total *thrust budget* is negative, the reverse thrust more than balances the #2 engine thrust.
Note : It is apparent that this discussion is turning on its head. Old arguments keep creeping back and new points, especially bsieker's WBA study, are left un-answered.
What is needed is a sum-up of the previously covered aspects.
Me, I'm a bit tired of using the same arguments I used a month ago for newcomers.
Regards
Lemurian.

Last edited by Lemurian; 15th Sep 2007 at 09:01.