PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regional Airlines & other
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2007, 05:23
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow

The Dominican's advice is very valuable.

Also be aware of 'alleged' problems in some regional airline training departments. A Check Airmen at a regional affiliate told me in person that most of the pilots who left ACA with about two years in the RJ never made it through training at another CRJ airline! Also, he refuses to do any more Line Training and was not willing to fly almost solo any more. The airline offered him extra pay at 150% to give IOE but he said no. Those were his words.
One of our recalled pilots (from furlough) told me this spring that he was shocked at problems with Chattauqua's CRJ training (different than the one described above..) , after he was laid off and went to work there. I can't remember if it was the type or amount of FMC training, or the general syllabus etc.

Commander1: I can not answer that, but an English guy who worked as a US Army helicopter Crew Chief then became a pilot (now flies RJs) told me on the airport shuttle that despite higher pay as a regional FO in Britain, the much higher taxes and costs leave you with less money to live on, than here in the US. His comments surprised me.

He compared living in the UK mostly to the lower costs in southern states. Living costs and taxes in GA, AL, TN, AR and Texas are generally much less than in the Upper Midwest in MN, WI, MI (IN or OH?) etc. Never mind the major metro areas in CA, or much of the east in VA (near DC), PA, NY, CT and MA. But many very high-cost cities ARE typically the junior crewbases and brand-new pilots must begin there in many cases. Some larger cities in southern Florida might be fairly high cost.

Airline pilot salaries are XX/hour, no matter where you live.
Good luck over here. If you have the hours, you might want to focus on COEX or Horizon, maybe others...