PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 15th Sep 2007, 00:58
Han 1st Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all.

As far as most of the courses are concerned I have no basis to comment. The Leeds university degree is another matter. As far as the course content or validity is concerned I am a unsure to its overall worth, i'm sure many of the students that have completed the degree will agree with that, it has been filled with many irelevant modules, this is I believe improving though. It does however have many valid modules that will be very useful when undertaking the commercial exams. However I will say this, the airlines and commercial schools do seem to like this course. Out of the 20 students to have completed the 1st year of the course, and hense the only year to have then really gone on to complete commercial training 1 is at 1st choice, 3 at BA Citiflyer, 1 at DHL, 1 on the highland sponsership scheme, 1 at flybe, 1 instructing and very well placed to move into the airlines sometime soon, 2 in the forces 1 as a pilot, and 1 still at CTC, the others on the course have not really pursued a serious career in aviation, fairly good stats in my eyes, of the other years to graduate many have got into OAT, CTC, and Jerez, and some sponsored by netjets,cathay and air atlantic, again a much higher percentage than the national average i'm sure.

If you are wanting to do a degree and then go onto commercial flight training then it does seem this degree gives you a slight edge, particularly at CTC, but again its not the be all and end all. I have extensive knowledge as to the flight training side of the course (although not as extensive as at one point) not so much the academic side of the course although I know many if not all that do.

Any questions feel free to pm me or ask on the thread and i'll do my best to answer them or refer u to someone who can.

regards,

Han.

PS. From my experience of this course the social side of uni at leeds is excellent so if thats what your looking for then its a good place to study whatever degree you take.