PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's watches
Thread: Pilot's watches
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2007, 14:53
Dave Ishall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The definitive pilot's watch.

Hello A340x. Just caught this thread while looking for the definitive pilot's watch myself.

My favorite is my H3 Commanders' watch by Traser. It has a clear, no nonsense face like Jimmy Macintosh's watch and fantastic visibility at night due to the tritium powered lights on the hands and hours. The rotating bezel gives me time airborne (when I remember to set it) and the date is always useful. The glass is sapphire crystal so no scratches in 5 years and the thing is waterproof down to 300m. The accuracy is phenomenal - less than 5 seconds error per month - which is all down to its swiss quartz movement. Not as stylish as a Breitling but still looks good with either a flying suit or evening wear. Best of all, you can buy five of them for the same price as a Breit.
Why am I looking for the definitive watch then? I would like an alarm on it, a second time zone, the day of the week, a chronograph and a slightly bigger face. There - that is my perfect pilot's watch.
A company called Fortis come close - but their prices are in the mid 'teens and I still have a mortgage.

Last edited by Dave Ishall; 14th Sep 2007 at 15:04.