PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning Shot !!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2007, 13:28
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ed roddington

There have been pilots extending beyond 55th birthday on and off for over a decade depending on CX's needs. The previous DFO's extension incurred bypass pay as does our current GMA. There are people on bypass pay whether you see it or not. It generally goes to those categorised Cat C, and sinbinned, or those categorised Cat B. It is reasonably rare for anyone unassessed or any Cat A guys to get it as there are so many in the B+C categories. I remember back in 2001 seeing that a couple of Cat C guys had been getting bypass pay for over a year.

There are only 20 odd extendees that necessitate bypass pay....freighter pilot extensions do not incure bypass pay. There are a lot more than 20 Cat B+C. If(when) CoS08 comes in, about 1-2 years from now you will see plenty of Cat A or even unassessed FOs getting bypass pay when there are over 100+ extendees.

My opinion on extending - well, it has been in the contract since before my time. It is very easy for us well short of 55 to say you shouldn't extend. I won't presume to pass judgement for the majority. For myself, I would not accept the insult of inferior conditions. But then I think CX is just a job whereas for some, it is a way of life. I work to live, not live to work!