PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 14th Sep 2007, 13:21
skyhighbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many opinions on this. I mean I think it is rare for an 18 year old who has just finished A-Levels to go straight onto/ or be accepted on an ATPL course and be in the RHS at 20 years old. But I'm sure it does happen.

I've heard that recruitment officers like to see personality, someone who has lived a bit, earned people skills, earned team work skills - whether it be through university/ from working. You see, if you leave after A-levels, do you have Team work skillls? Have you learnt to deal with scenarios where you were under pressure? Or had to make key decisions? You only get this from either Uni/work.

SO I doubt very much that the degree course you choose has a large bearing (BA in David Beckham/ Needle work is a different matter though!!) on whether you will be accepted on to an ATPL course or not.

I have A-Levels in Maths and Physics and a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. But if I can't do the pilotapt tests, then I won't be accepted. Simple as that.

My advice would be to have a degree where you can fall back upon if the pilot thing don't work out. I could still work for Airbus/Rolls Royce if I wanted to or any other technical job.

Naturally, the courses you mentioned will stand out - but only at Phase 1 of a selection procedure. If you can't do percentages/long division and the pilotapt tests I mentioned, then you won't be accepted.

XXX