PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2007, 09:14
TyroPicard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some thoughts following this from Rob21
So maybe I should refrase my question on when the pilot was expected to apply manual brakes. Autobrake was selected to med, as recommended for slippery runways. Autobraking starts with ground spoiler deployment.
Why not start manual braking also with spoiler deployment?
Three braking strategies for this approach ...
1. Autobrake OFF, apply manual braking as required.
2. Autobrake MED, no manual braking - monitor Autobrake effectiveness and apply manual braking if necessary.
3. Autobrake MED, but apply manual braking as required - if for some reason you forget to brake the a/c does it for you.
Without access to the approach briefing, we cannot tell which of 2 or 3 was planned. Even with access we may still be in the dark.
Had it been my landing, I would have used strategy 2. Had I judged that full manual braking was required from mainwheel touchdown I would have diverted - risk assessment. Therefore I think it likely that this crew thought this landing was normal - but a shade demanding, because of the evidence of a "duck-under" and selection of G/S warning OFF.

Regarding waiting for the Ground Spoilers call... nowhere in my Airbus FCOM/FCTM is this mentioned as a procedure or recommendation, and I cannot recall any training (in two airlines) where this was mentioned. I assume the reason is that in the absence of ECAM warning or other known problem, they will always work when conditions are met. If you know all/some are INOP then you choose a runway of appropriate length.
One of the potential problems is.. if NOT armed the Ground Spoilers extend on Reverse selection as a back-up.. so if you wait for the call before selecting Reverse you might wait a long time...
Thanks to Soga for re-posting the Brazilian release..
The crew approach briefing included a reminder that only the left engine thrust reverser was available.
What we do NOT know is what T/L handling MEL procedure they briefed, if any. I think it important to brief what will happen, what indications you expect. It appears from the FDR that crews used different procedures at different airports.....
Cheers, TP

Last edited by TyroPicard; 15th Sep 2007 at 15:20. Reason: Technical rubbish!