PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 28th Nov 2003, 05:25
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
more photos!

As we are approaching winter, then these piccies might stir the imagination:

A Gazelle we did icing-trials with in Ottawa, 1976 Feb-Mar. We flew in everything from heavy snow to freezing rain, Spray-rig, and freezing fog. I see from my log book that I also spent most of the time with the hyd. off for control force measurements.

Ice-damage to a Wx/S-K engine(T-58/Gnome), which also illustrates why an axial-flow compressor with VIGV`s is not an ideal engine to use in a helo, without adequate intake protection.

A WX blade with ice :we used a max rise in Tq. of about 20-25 %, before you quit, IF you were not getting ice shedding naturally. That would still give you an acceptable rotor performance if both motors quit/or a trans. failure. Which did happen in a S-King-- Everyone had their chutes on, but they got back before the g/b seized.

AH-56A Cheyenne on an early rig-run.

Front shot of a Wasp blade, showing the stagnation-point at the L/E, and ice growing out above/below the blade; very dangerous as the rise in drag/ torque is very rapid.

Pic of my tanker and friends over the NW coast of the Falklands. I've got the original in my study and the golden glow makes it pretty good..

I'll send some more another day.. Thanks again John.

Syc..

Aser
I've added type details to the pics in my earlier post.

.. Syc