PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 16th Jun 2003, 07:21
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool North Sea

Having a quiet weekend at home scanning photos, I thought these may be worth sharing. In 1976-79 Bristow operated 4 Bell 212's in the Brent Field to shuttle the workers around the field, and I had an engine mishap one morning. Not wanting to fly 100 nm back to Sumburgh, and denied the largest pad (Brent B) because a 234 Chinook was due in later, I put down on a spare deck and awaited the black hand gang. I landed to one side so that North Scottish could get in with a Bo105.

The engine was deemed U/S, but after defuelling we had to wait until cooler evening temps to ferry single engine back to the maintenance hangar that we had on Treasure Finder (IIRC). I was assured that Redhill had approved the S/E ferry, and was daft enough to believe the engineers!

When we got to Treasure Finder, no such approval was sought nor given (young and gullible?), then the engineers showed me the shrapnel holes in the tail and tail rotor

Anyway, it was a salutory lesson, in making a judgement call to "do the right thing" and get the 212 to our hangar facility.

The turbine