PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resignations at KA
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2007, 06:47
DrunkenAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100% correct Rookie.

The locals have been mistreated, certainly by KA and most probably by CX. It is very true that that was little or no option open to them until very recently. I applaud those that have resigned. It has nothing to do with b@lls, and everything to do with opportunity, and dare I say it, memories of how poorly they were treated.

While on the subject of opportunity I shall continue with my thoughts......

CX and KA "A" scales came into being because of a shortage of skilled labour willing to move to Hong Kong almost 2 decades ago. "A" scale pay was the going Hong Kong rate for some 10 yrs. "B" scale has been around for about 15 years. "C"adet scale has been here for about 8 yrs, and in KA, cadets were re-introduced to address the high turnover rate of expats on B scale.

It is probably worth noting that neither KA nor CX have current management that was present when A scale was introduced. They do not know the costs (losses) associated with keeping aircraft on the ground. The current management teams of both airlines are intent on simply containing salaries, beliveing this will increase their profits. They believe that the change in retirement age to 65 will fix their crewing problems and keep salaries low. This will not occur. Both companies shall lose experienced crews to retirement and other operators as they continue to treat their crews poorly. This exodus will only escalate with time.

If, and it is a big if, half the peoiple who talk of leaving KA do, then they shall see a turnover rate of around 5% in around 9 months.

Now that is not very big by anyones imagination. However, trying to find experienced crews is becoming more and more difficult. Even now KA is cancelling flights due to crew numbers, and soon this will be a chronic problem for them.

In order to avoid the losses of aircraft sitting on the ground, I suggest that big increases in salary are not that far away. They will be paid to stop the rot and attract experienced crews.

Opportunity for all is not that far away!

Drunkenair
Cheers (hic)