PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2007, 02:07
marciovp
I support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorter runway and number of seats

Careful, here. According to FAR 25.807, the seating capacity for such an aircraft, equipped with 4 Type I and 4 Type III exits is 179 seats, crew members excluded. Therefore, the number of seats was correct for the configuration
Thanks for your answer and dialog Lemurian. I acknowldege that you know a lot more about this airplane and aviation than I do. For me it is a privilege to be here. What I said is that ANAC (National Agency of Civil Aviation) certified that plane to fly with 162 seats. Also if there was some plans for the A320 to land at Congonhas in a raining slippery night efforts should be made to make the plane as light as possible, no?

Insofar as Congonhas, just saw the Minister of Defense. Yes they will use 150 meters at each end of the runway as escape zone with soft cement. The Minister said that one consequence of this change is that only lighter airplanes will be using the airport (not clear which ones are those) with the shorter runway (I believe 1940 meters minus 300= 1640 meters). The big planes that lad there? Boeing 737 (400 to 800), A320, Fokker 100...

Yes, it is true it seems. Besides having a shorter main runway, the auxiliaru runway also will go to 1250 meters, with escapes of 120 meters in both ends.

This decision was made by the Minister of Defense and the Air Force. Congonhas no longer will be a hub and 737s and A320s will not land there unless they manage to have less weight with fewer seats and lessa cargo, the note said.

Last edited by marciovp; 14th Sep 2007 at 17:17. Reason: To complete more data