PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP
Thread: AFAP
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 21:41
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  1. Pilots leave/left the AFAP because they were/are afraid of recriminations from their employers for being "union" pilots
  2. Pilots that left then had negotiate their own Ts and Cs either by themselves or by forming another pilot group
  3. Pilots then had to compete amongst the pilot groups with their employers for Ts and Cs. (united we stand, divided we fall?)
  4. Pilots then "white ant" each other and pilot groups to stay employed
  5. Pilots that left the AFAP weaken their (the AFAP's and therefore their own bargaining power
  6. Pilots then winge/bitch/bleat/moan because things aren't as good as they used to be.
Do you see any common denominator here?

The AFAP like any representative body is only as strong as it's members. If you want things to improve across the the industry you have to get back on board with a truly representative body. Pilots are the strength of the aviation industry at the coal face they can also be the weakest point if they are divided, between employers or between unions.
If you really want to see the profession of pilot given it's just rewards, across the industry you should get behind your professional pilot representative body. For my money that is the AFAP.
Before you start on me. I am not at present a member of the AFAP, because I an no longer employed as a pilot. I do keep my qualifications current and I have been a branch chairman of the AFAP. If I was employed as a pilot the AFAP would be getting my money.