PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Crystal Ball
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 15:05
SmokingHole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my previous life as a tradesman earning $20/hr, all the staff got together and hit the boss up for a $4/hr payrise in line with other employers. The immediate result? "You can all get stuffed, don't come Monday."

Two months later after we all found new employers, we were all reinstated by the old boss at $28hr!!!

That was 8 years ago and now, with the current shortage of tradesman, I have mates still in the industry earning up to $50/hr for some and others on contractual work earning $800 a day - that's over $200K! Not bad for a bloke who probably can't even spell probably.

The shortage of skilled workers has created a backlog of work and has driven up the prices. In this town, people don't care how much you charge, as long as you turn up and do the job!

Similarly in Aviation, as the number of bums on seats continues to grow at a rate greater than suitably qualified pilots are being produced, you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to see what will happen. Be patient I say. All good things to those who wait.