PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Crystal Ball
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 12:28
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the world really is round !:-)

.............a crystal ball in the shape of aviation would indeed be round..................for we are all but going full circle here with the predictions of future aviation. Am sure once upon a time the wages of pilots where not that good way back when aviation in this country was in it's infancy & we simply didn't know better or had nothing to compare with like we do today in the modern world. Sure we are worth more money (shall never dispute that fact!!!!) in pre dispute days it was a very comfy existance a few. But in today's climate a few here have hit the nail on the head with extra money for the pilots has to come from somewhere such as ticket sales. There are many aviation companies these days & they are now big business, registered on the stock market & worth zillions but the emphasis is on 'big buisness'. They are no more no less in the buisness of transporting people & making money for the share holders, much like a large ground based form of transport. The costs like all big businesses in the buisness of transportation are based on cost per head/parcel per mile travelled. The G. Dixons of this world even tho we may believe otherwise are no fools, that's how come they are at the top & we (pilots) are at the bottom of the food chain. The demands of pilots are just one minor part of the needed core mechanical requirements in aviation & those demands will vary as the world shrinks with modern travel now avilable to the masses . We are already seeing a world shortage to some degree of the skills needed to keep the machinery operating & that includeds the very important engineerers. (God love you guys for getting me home safely) Look today's world is spinning faster, probably in the physical sense as well, God knows my days seem to fly past! (pun intended) & we are now a very fast society that simply wants it all & wants it now (I'm no different than the rest of you guys out there)!.......& that 'want' COSTS!...hence we as pilots like just about every other living creature on this planet needs greater comforts, in the form of money for the homo sapiens (you, me), see told you lot out there, (those that are still reading this feet putting to sleep words that is) that's it's going 'full circle':-) It probably started off as a fair paid job to a well paid job as the world expanded back to a fair paid job & less these days. Strive for better T&C's that's something that was started way back before the 40 hr week, just bare in mind that for a plane to carry a certain amount of weight it needs a certain amount of wing area, we (pilots, engineers etc.) are that 'wing area', increase the weight & we are needed more !.........finally we have a foot in the door because the 'plane' is getting heavier !!!...........Oh God it's nice to be old, one can get away with what I just spilled out of my head above !:-)

.........remember at the end of the day, we love to fly right?.........otherwise why would we put up with such basic conditions just to earn a living!

Capt wally............needs a drink now !