PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Uni Air Squadron
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 10:00
bayete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the point of the UAS?

When I was an instructor the primary roll of the UAS was to recruit "High caliber individuals from University to join the RAF".
I have not read Gary's other posts however we should not dismiss an individual because he/she is persuing other avenues, is it not common sense to keep your options open?
It is the job of the UAS to take an individual (if he/she fits the bill) and show him how good the RAF is compared to a civilian flying job and change his mind. If they like it they stay if they don't they go.
We took many individuals who knew nothing about the RAF at interview but were good candidates and we showed them a good time at ULAS, both flying and socially and they subsequently joind up. RAF 1 : Civvy Street 0.
Those who are 100% committed would most likely join anyway however we need them on the UAS to keep up the numbers and help turn those who are just browsing.
It has been 4 years since I was on a UAS, has the system now been so degraded that it is not possible to take individuals who are umming and erring or those that know nothing of what we do and convert them to the ways of the RAF. Are we now just improving the AT/OQs/personality of those already keen to join.
There are lots out there who already posess all of the qualities that we look for but are unaware of what the RAF has to offer.
I knew nothing of the RAF when I went for my Sixth Form Scholarship (at interview I did not know the difference between a Tornado F3 and GR1 because I didn't know what a Tornado was untill a picture of one was shown to me by a spotter candidate in the waiting room).
It was the 30hrs free PPL training and £1050/yr cash mentioned by the SLO that appealed to me...16yrs later I am leaving the RAF as a Flying Instuctor. If someone had turned me away for "PPL hours building" I could be earning much more outside by now in the civvy world (as an architect ) but I would have missed out on 14 yrs of great times in the RAF.
Keep and open mind and give everyone a fair chance.
I ask how many others out there joined up because of a scholarship or UAS offer?
24 Days to go.

Last edited by bayete; 13th Sep 2007 at 10:02. Reason: Sp