PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of career prior to becoming a pilot?
Old 13th Sep 2007, 08:12
smoothkpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get as much cash as you can

Here is my penny's worth.

I started training at 22 after I graduated with an Engineering degree. Modular training off and on over the years. Now 28, Frozen ATPL, MCC and Instructors Rating, total time 600hours (part-time instructing). Currently working as an engineer in London earning over £35k a year. The one thing I've learnt over the years from the guys I've seen getting the jobs is either build a load of hours through instructing and I mean 1000+ with some multi time as well or fork out for a Type rating. I'm trying to cover all bases but the biggest thing you can do is get a job that will pay you the most money, aviation is bloody expensive so I would opt for a job that gives you the best earning potential and save as much as you can. Don't go working cleaning planes or loading them up, for someone with your ambition you'd be wasting time, get a better job and earn as much cash as you can to put towards your training. Future employees will be more interested in you as a person and what you can offer them and how well you did on your courses. One word of caution, there are no guarantees. Always have a contingency plan. All schools will say the market is great, and tell you you'd get a job, but do your own research and have your own plan. I have met guys who went to the BIG schools, integrated, almost £70k in debt and no job. I have always believed that there is no substitute for experience hence my approach to achieving my ambition. Too many guys want to get on the jet straight off. Don't get me wrong for some it works but for the majority it’s a hard graft.

Just my opinion and hope it helps.

Smoothk