PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 08:03
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought we were all speculating?
Of course we are.

I'm much more concerned with the question of WHY he made such a huge mistake. Only if the 'why' is established ('beyond reasonable doubt,' anyway) can the authorities and the manufacturer take steps to prevent the same thing happening again. It's certainly not enough just to 'prove' that it was pilot error; especially since there have been several recent exactly-similar 'errors' involving highly-experienced pilots landing A320s with one reverser inoperative, and few if any recent ones with other marques?
I agree.

But since the persons directly involved in the handling of the thrust levers in this accident cannot be asked any more, I don't think we will ever reach the "beyond reasonable doubt"-state. So a "reasonably credible explanation" will have to do. And if there is more than one, perhaps more than one thing should be fixed. Accident investigation reports usually contain many recommendations, which may or may not be made mandatory by the authorities.

The reason I dismissed this particular speculation was not that it was speculative, but that it was obviously not what happened here. TL#2 reading was and stayed in CL undisturbed.

Bernd

Last edited by bsieker; 13th Sep 2007 at 09:54. Reason: Rewritten one paragraph.